Upcoming Meetings re Joint Local Plan
We reported recently on the briefing by Chiltern District Council and South Bucks District Council, to launch the consultation phase of the Joint Local Plan.
We believe that it is critical to engage with this process, as it will set out policies that will affect our lives for the next 20 years.
We list below a number of public meetings across our area in the coming weeks, in order to help residents, businesses and other groups to to formulate their responses. It is not an exhaustive list, and we would be glad to hear of others.
The closing date for the consultation phase is 5pm ON 14th MARCH.
Saturday 30th January – Amersham Action Group (AAG) Public Consultation Day
10am to 3pm at Amersham Free Church, Woodside Road
In a circular, AAG suggests a number of questions that might be considered in regard to Amersham:
- What land should we build on and what should be protected. The release of some Green Belt is possible, but which areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty do you treasure most?
- What housing is needed to suit all people in our area, including OAPs, young families, key workers and professionals?
- The Amersham Pool Complex buildings are coming to the end of their practical life. This site, which includes the Community Centre, Youth Centre and Library, is likely to be redeveloped. Do you want this to be for community or residential uses? There may be no room for larger sports halls, so where should they go?
- Can we expect better bus and train services, yet still not have disabled access at all stations?
- As the roads become even more congested, do we build new routes? Do we promote separate cycle ways between towns that do not conflict with traffic? Additionally, we have to face the construction of HS2, which will fundamentally impact transport in our area.
- How much do we care about our shops and Town Centres? Amersham-on-the-Hill has recently seen proposals to take away two large retail units in a redevelopment that would lose the chance for a new food store by the car park. What is a balanced offer for the whole town? Would you like to see Sycamore Road made one-way for traffic?
- Will we have to travel too far to work if there is not enough local land allocated for business?
Chiltern Chamber will be on hand to receive feedback and suggestions from the local business community.
Property developers will also be at the event to present their proposals on current and future projects, including Angle Properties which will be displaying their plans for the redevelopment of the old Iceland complex. Also attending are the campaigners against the Waste Transport Station on London Road.
More information on the Amersham Action Group web site.
Wednesday 10th February – Chiltern Chamber: “Where Will Our Children Live and Work?”
On the evening of February 10th, Chiltern Chamber will be hosting a Question Time-style discussion entitled “Where Will Our Children Live and Work? – Planning the future in the Chilterns”.
Chiltern Chamber, as a consultee, will be formulating a response to the consultation, with a particular emphasis on the needs of local businesses. We would encourage our members, and others in business locally, to come along and help by informing us of your views.
Thursday 11th February and Wednesday 17th February – Little Chalfont Community Association and Parish Council
6.00m (11th only) and 8.00pm (both dates), Little Chalfont Village Hall.
PDF of leaflet produced by Little Chalfont Community Association and Parish Council, including maps of “areas for testing” for residential and employment development.
Wednesday 17th February – The Chesham Society
7.30pm for 8.00pm, Chesham Town Hall.
Visitors are invited to attend. Cllr Isabel Derby, Leader of the Chiltern District Council Cabinet and Cllr Peter Martin, Cabinet Member for Sustainability, will show a video presentation and talk about the Plan. There will be opportunity for discussion and questions.
More details on The Chesham Society web site.
Thursday 25th February – Chesham Town Council and The Chesham Society
7.30pm, Chesham Town Hall
Public Town Meeting at the Town Hall. This will be in a workshop format where attendees will work in groups on various topics, and there will be a further opportunity to ask questions and express views. The Chesham Society will also be showing its Visions for Chesham and a 3D model of their proposal for the town centre.
More details on Chesham Town Council web site.
Friday 26th February – Chesham Society and Chiltern Chamber of Commerce for Chesham Retailers and Traders in Chesham
6.00-7.30pm, Chesham Town Hall
Am opportunity specifically aimed at Chesham traders and retailers to express a collective voice about the Local Plan, and to see the proposed Chesham Society Visions for Chesham and 3D model of their proposal.