What’s in it for me?
Chiltern Chamber exists to support business and the economy in Chesham, Amersham and the environs, benefiting business as a whole, specific businesses and other local organisations through a broad range of activities.
In the following video, Ralph Hilsdon of Chesham-based e-mail marketing agency Web-Clubs explains his perspective of the role of the Chamber, and what it offers to businesses.
- First and foremost, we are a Networking Organisation, and a friendly one at that. Our membership base enables us to create regular opportunities for members to meet up and make new contacts, and uncover new business opportunities.
- Details of meetings are shown on our Events page. Most months will have at least two such networking opportunities.
- Events are open to members and non-members, though we would urge non-members to consider joining the Chamber if they attend regularly and make use of our networking platform. Considering the number and quality of events, membership fees are very modest.
Business and Local Information
- We act as a conduit for business and local information. Our networking meetings are opportunities to share information, both from the speakers at the event and among members.
- We help disseminate information about local issues such as the Local Plan and HS2, as well as pass on feedback from our members.
- We look to keep our membership up to speed with initiatives such as Small Business Saturday.
- Our web site is updated regularly; we have a long and growing mailing list; we have more than 1,100 Twitter followers; and we maintain an up-to-date LinkedIn profile.
Promoting Your Business
- All Chamber members can have their own page on the Chamber website to promote their business.
- This will contain a description of your services and the all-important contact details. You can also add a ‘Member2Member Offer’, two of which appear randomly on the Chamber Home page.
- This information is included in a searchable database of members and services.
Access to Advice
- Our Committee and Ambassadors are made up largely of business owners and senior employees, with considerable and varied experience of business. When asked to help or advise on specific business situations, we can usually help, or via our network, put you in touch with someone who can.
- Several of our officers have considerable experience in dealing with local government and other institutions. This can help in dealing with specific issues, as well as making our voice, and those of our Members, influential in local consultations. Our committee includes two appointed Councillor representatives from each of the Amersham and Chesham Town Councils.
A Growing Sphere of Influence
- We have been extending our sphere of influence in the past couple of years. Originally the Chesham Chamber, we became the Chiltern Chamber when taking in Amersham. We are developing a working relationship with the Wendover Chamber, and we take the opportunity to work with other local groups when the opportunity arises. We are careful to ensure that such initiatives bring value to our Members, rather than diluting our effectiveness.
Developing Young People
- We take an active interest in development of skills and young people in the region, a precondition of building for sustainable economic growth in the area. We have Committee members closely involved with the Opps in Bucks initiative, Young Enterprise, and Bucks Thames Valley LEP (Bucks Skills Hub). We have welcomed groups of students to some of our networking evenings.
- Business is a serious subject but we also like to have some fun! Some of our events, such as our summer garden party and Christmas event, are very social occasions, conducive to making new friends as well as business contacts. We support local charities at certain of these events, sometimes in association with other local organisations.
Raising Your Profile in the Community
- If you would like to take a more proactive role with the Chamber, volunteering is an opportunity to raise your business and personal profile, contribute knowledge and skills in a meaningful way, and even to develop new knowledge and skills.
- We are always on the lookout for new volunteers, and whatever your skills or experience, we can put them to use! You can read more about volunteering here.